Eng | Fr
2017 National Scholarship APPLY NOW!
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: MAY 27, 2017
1. Applicants must be Canadian residents studying in Canada.
2. Applicants must be enrolled or expected to enroll in a post-secondary program of at least 2 years.
3. All Graduating High School Students
4. College/University students must be enrolled in at least one more year of study as of Spring 2016.
5. Applicants must be working for a current CFIG member (retail, associate, affiliate) or be a family member of an employee of a current CFIG member.
6. Only complete applications containing full and accurate information will be considered.
7. Plagiarism is an infringement of copyright laws. All essays must be properly referenced.
Scholarship Poster (Download here)
One National winner receives $6,000 - Winner invited to annual Independent Grocer of the Year Gala in Toronto.
Six regional awards of $2000.00 each are awarded as follows: (4)university/college (East & West)– (1) high school in the East– (1) high school in the West
Benefits to the CFIG member include:
1. A plaque for the Store Sponsor of each scholarship recipient.
2. Personalized assistance with any publicity opportunities.
3. Invitation to accept the National Scholarship sponsorship plaque at Grocery Innovations Canada October 23-24, 2017.
2016 National Scholarship Winner
Raffaele Cramarossa of Loblaw Cos. Ltd. ($6000.00)
High School: Kristen Unrau – $2000.00
Member Relation: Buy-Low Foods
College/University: Nadia Lepak – $ 2000.00
Member Relation: Quality Foods
Brianna Rota – $2000.00
Member Relation: Overwaitea Foods #33
High School:Taylor Nadine-Petten – $2000.00
Member Relation: Atlantic Grocery Distributors – Powell Group of Companies
College/University: Adam Kouri – $2000.00
Member Relation: Smucker Foods of Canada Corp.
Sarah Anne Alfonsi – $2000.00
Member Relation: Sun Valley Market
Applications MUST include:
1. A 1,000 word essay with proper referencing on the following question:
"What are four increasingly important trends that will reshape competition over the next several years that grocers are responding to when it comes to their products, services and in-store experience. Give concrete examples referencing retailers (independent and/or chain)"
NOTES: Maximum word length: 1,000 words (essays over this limit will not be judged).
2. A list of academic achievements, awards, and extra-curricular activities.
3. An official grade transcript of your last completed year. Must MAIL to:
105 Gordon Baker Rd. Suite #401, North York, ON M2H 3P8
4. A complete application form with all pertinent information properly filled.
* We encourage all applicants to meet with their CFIG contact and ask questions to learn more about the Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers.
DEADLINE: May 27, 2017
Online application form (Apply here)
Grading score sheet for high school
Grading score sheet for university/college
© 2017 Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers